- Trek’s concentric pivot ABP suspension system remains, and so does the simple yet effective Mini Link feature – a flippable chip at the seatstay that offers +/0.5 degrees at the head angle and +/- 5mm at the bottom bracket.
- The 9 LT also sports Trek’s proprietary RE:aktiv shock, which uses regressive valving and aims to provide support against pedaling forces and g-outs but remain sensitive to even the smallest of impacts.
- Rotating at each Boost axle is an all-new wheelset configured specifically to deal with the extra heft of a bike such as this one. The new Powerline plus-size wheels use 32 hole rims with thicker sidewall rims that are built to downhill standards. These replace the thinner rims that dinged relatively easily on the last Powerfly.
- In a similar vein, Trek has opted for an e-bike specific Fox 34, with thicker stanchions and lowers compared to a regular 34 in order to support the higher loads and forces found encountered with these weightier bikes. SRAM’s excellent 8-speed EX1 drivetrain s has also been carried over from last year’s model.
- The brakes are also e-bike specific, namely SRAM’s Guide REs which mate the four piston calipers from the company’s Code gravity brakes to the familiar Guide levers.
- The long-life battery is secured within the downtube and is easily removed for charging.
- Knock Block frame defence protects from spinning handlebars.
- The more capable 150 mm frame is up for anything.
Key Bosch features on the 2018 Trek Powerfly FS 9 LT:
Bosch Performance CX
Bosch's Performance CX line is made for rugged off-road use with a maximum torque of up to 75 newton meters, sustained into the high cadence range for sporty acceleration and a sleek mid-mount motor for ideal weight balance and obstacle clearance
With a maximum torque of 75 Nm, the Performance Line CX is the ideal drive for ambitious and demanding eBikers. In eMTB mode, you always receive the required power – from Tour to Turbo. Up to 300% of perfectly delivered support, incredible dynamism and unique grip provide the best possible support on all terrains, as well as improved start-up behaviour. The progressive motor support automatically adapts to the individual's riding style, so there is no need to change support modes in eMTB mode.
Perfect support as soon as you step onto the pedals means that starting on steep slopes is significantly easier.
Thanks to the new eMTB mode, there is no need to change support modes, so the rider can concentrate fully on the trail.
Enables effortless riding and optimal traction thanks to improved control, even on challenging uphill sections or when encountering difficult obstacles.
A torque of up to 75 Nm ensures sporty acceleration even in alpine terrain, without changing gear.
More walk-assistance power
Stronger support up to speeds of 6 km/h makes pushing your bike much easier. Available from autumn 2017 and backwards compatible for all Performance Line CX systems.
For a powerful start uphill and in rough terrain. Improved moving-off behaviour guarantees optimal support in all terrains and on any trail. Noticeably easier, sporty starting as soon as you step onto the pedals.
Trek Powerfly FS 9 LT spec overview:
- Frame: Alpha Platinum Aluminium, ABP, EVO link, E2 tapered head tube, Knock Block, internal derailleur and dropper post routing, integrated battery, G2 Geometry, Boost148, 150 mm travel
- Motor: Bosch Performance CX, 250 watt, 75 Nm with Bosch Powerpack Performance 500 downtube battery
- Fork: Fox Performance 36 Float, GRIP adjustable damper, E2 tapered steerer, Boost110, G2 Geometry w/51 mm offset, e-bike optimised, 150 mm travel
- Rear shock: RockShox Deluxe RT3, RE:aktiv 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 205x57.5 mm
- Drivetrain: SRAM EX1, 8-speed
- Brakes: SRAM Guide RE hydraulic disc
- Wheelset: Bontrager Powerline Comp 40, 54T Rapid Drive, Tubeless Ready, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
- Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance, Tubeless, 27.5x2.80in